Today In Washington
November 14, 2017
Source: AEO Government Relations Team, Madison Services Group
Senate Tax Reform Debate
Today, the Senate Finance Committee will continue its conceptual mark-up of the “Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.” Several hundred amendments have been filed, and Committee Chair Orrin Hatch (R-UT) expects to release an updated Chairman’s Mark later today. The Committee’s consideration of tax reform is expected to consume the remaining legislative days leading up to Thanksgiving.
As a reminder, tax reform will be debated and examined as a narrative, instead of bill text.
House to Vote on FY 2018 NDAA
Today, the House will vote on the FY 2018 National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). The vote follows a bicameral conference, an informal process where the House and Senate reconcile their competing bills into a final bill. If passed by the House and Senate without amendment, the NDAA will go to the President for signature.
Provisions included in the NDAA:
- Requires the Small Business Administration (SBA) to conduct a study on Women-Owned Small Business (WOSB) participation on Multiple Award Contracts (MACs)
- HUBZone maps locked-in until January 1, 2020; transition to 5-year map updates thereafter
- Provides state governors the ability to petition the SBA Administrator to designate areas that have an average unemployment rate at least 120% of national or state average — whichever is lowest — as HUBZones; petitions require annual resubmission
- Removes the qualifier “nonmetropolitan” from “state median income” when determining HUBZone program eligibility
- Requires the SBA to make a determination on a firm’s HUBZone eligibility within 60 days of application receipt
Today @ 9 a.m.: Senate Finance Committee hearing - “Continuation of the Open Executive Session to Consider an Original Bill Entitled the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act.” 216 Hart Senate Office Building.
Tomorrow @ 11 a.m.: House Small Business Committee hearing - “Federal Government and Small Businesses: Promoting Greater Information Sharing for Stronger Cybersecurity.” 2360 Rayburn House Office Building.
May 7, 2019
Industry News -
The Ultimate National Small Business Week 2019 Events Calendar : With so many events, promotions, and deals to be had, the Big List of National Small Business Week is designed to help you find what is taking place across the country.