Today In Washington
October 27, 2017
Source: AEO Government Relations Team, Madison Services Group
House Small Business Committee Asks Ways and Means Committee to Act
Yesterday, House Small Business Committee Chair Steve Chabot (R-OH) sent a letter with Ranking Member Nydia Velázquez (D-NY) to House Committee on Ways and Means Chair Kevin Brady (R-TX) and Ranking Member Richard Neal (D-MA) asking the Committee to consider H.R. 3717, the Small Business Owners’ Tax Simplification Act. This bill would update the tax code for small businesses, startups, and entrepreneurs.
Specifically, the bill:
- Aligns quarterly reporting deadlines with actual quarter ends.
- Aligns income tax filing thresholds for consistency (1099-MISC, 1099k, etc.)
- Updates electronic signature requirements.
- Outlines anti-fraud measures by requiring pre-notification testing of recipient information before direct deposits can be refunded
- Allows small business owners to both offer and participate in Cafeteria Plans (HSAs, dental plans, etc.) Current IRS interpretation prevents small business owners from participating.
- Excludes self-employment income from Social Security Quarters Coverage.
- Excludes loan forgiveness from being counted toward income for entrepreneurs who work in high-need and distressed areas.
- Allows voluntary withholding agreements (withholding a certain amount from an employee's payroll check) without impacting a worker’s classification status.
- Allows voluntary training services (safety courses, tax compliance courses, etc.) to be offered to contractors without impacting a worker’s classification status
Thursday, November 2 @ 10 a.m.: House Small Business Committee - Operating or Rulemaking? A Review of SBA’s Opaque Standard Operating Procedures Process. 2360 Rayburn House Office Building.
May 7, 2019
Industry News -
The Ultimate National Small Business Week 2019 Events Calendar : With so many events, promotions, and deals to be had, the Big List of National Small Business Week is designed to help you find what is taking place across the country.