Policy News - April 2, 2019
April 2, 2019
SBA Administrator Linda McMahon has announced her resignation effective April 12th. In a statement issued on Friday, McMahon said she will be returning to the private sector.
Tomorrow, the Senate Small Business and Entrepreneurship Committee will hold a hearing on reauthorization of SBA’s Access to Capital Programs, which will include witnesses from the SBA, Immito, Evergreen Business Capital, CDC Small Business Finance, and the Association of Enterprise Opportunity.
On Capitol Hill
House: In Session
·The House will convene to consider the bills listed for consideration under suspension of the Rules:
H.R. 1433 – DHS MORALE Act, as amended (Rep. Thompson (MS) – Homeland Security)
H.R. 1593 – CLASS Act of 2019, as amended (Rep. Payne – Homeland Security)
H.R. 1590 – Terrorist and Foreign Fighter Travel Exercise Act of 2019, as amended (Rep. Guest – Homeland Security)
H.R. 1589 – CBRN Intelligence and Information Sharing Act of 2019, as amended (Rep. Walker – Homeland Security)
Senate: in session
· The Senate will convene and resume consideration of H.R.268, Supplemental Appropriations Act, 2019.
House Committee on Small Business
·Today, the Committee will hold a hearing titled “The Small Business Trade Snapshot: Agriculture and Workers”
House Committee on Financial Services
· Today, the Committee will hold a hearing titled “The Affordable Housing Crisis in Rural America: Assessing the Federal Response”
· On April 9th, the Committee will hold a hearing titled “The Community Reinvestment Act: Assessing the Law’s Impact on Discrimination and Redlining”
House Committee on Appropriations
· Today, the Committee will hold a hearing titled “The Rural Economy”
· Tomorrow, the Committee will hold a hearing titled “Department of Labor Budget Request for FY 2020”
Senate Committee on Small Business & Entrepreneurship
· Tomorrow, the Committee will hold a hearing titled “Reauthorization of the SBA’s Access to Capital Programs”
· On April 5th, the Committee will hold a hearing titled “Keeping Small, Premium Cigar Businesses Rolling”
Bills of Interest
· A bill was introduced by Rep. Donald Norcross (D-NJ) to promote registered apprenticeships, including registered apprenticeships within in-demand industry sectors, through the support of workforce intermediaries, and for other purposes (H.R.1995). A similar bill (S.951) was introduced in the Senate by Sen. Chris Coons (D-DE).
· A bill was introduced by Rep. David Roe (R-TN) to authorize the Department of Labor's voluntary protection program (H.R.1956)
At the Agencies
Department of Labor:
· U.S. Department of Labor issued a proposal for joint employer regulation
· No relevant activities today.
· SBA Administrator McMahon issued a statement declaring her resignation effective April 12th.
· USTR released its 2019 National Trade Estimate Report
·No relevant activities today.
Links You Can Use
For reviewing legislation and tracking appropriations: www.congress.gov
For reviewing proposed and pending regulation: www.federalregister.gov
May 7, 2019
Industry News -
The Ultimate National Small Business Week 2019 Events Calendar : With so many events, promotions, and deals to be had, the Big List of National Small Business Week is designed to help you find what is taking place across the country.