Policy - January 29, 2019
January 29, 2019
Congress has until February 15th to negotiate a border security deal that will keep the government open beyond that deadline. Speaker Pelosi and President Trump have come to a mutual agreement on a new date for the State of the Union address. SOTU is now likely to take place on February 5th, as long as the House and Senate approve a resolution allowing the president to give the address.
The Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (OIRA) received a proposal from the Department of Labor last week to clarify and update the basic and regular rate for calculating overtime pay which may address whether or not benefits such as tuition reimbursements, employee discounts, or employer-provided gyms should be a part of that calculation.
Today, the U.S. Trade Representative will hold a public hearing on Negotiating Objectives for a U.S.-U.K. Trade Agreement. The SBA has issued disaster declarations for California and Louisiana.
On Capitol Hill
House: In session
· The House will consider a series of counterterrorism and homeland security bills which can be viewed here
Senate: in session
· Senate will resume consideration of the motion to proceed to Strengthening America's Security in the Middle East Act of 2019 (S.1)
There are no relevant hearings or markups scheduled today.
Bills of Interest
· A bill to promote a 21st century artificial intelligence workforce (H.R. 827) introduced 1/28 by Rep. Darren Soto (D-FL)
At the Agencies
Treasury: No relevant activities today
· DOL is providing compliance assistance resources to secure employee benefits.
· USTR is holding a public hearing today on Negotiating Objectives for U.S.-U.K. Trade Agreement
Commerce: No relevant activities today
Links You Can Use
For reviewing legislation and tracking appropriations: www.congress.gov
For reviewing proposed and pending regulation: www.federalregister.gov
May 7, 2019
Industry News -
The Ultimate National Small Business Week 2019 Events Calendar : With so many events, promotions, and deals to be had, the Big List of National Small Business Week is designed to help you find what is taking place across the country.