Today in Washington - December 12, 2018
December 12, 2018
Source: Jennifer (White) Mangone - Legislative Counsel
Today in Washington
December 12, 2018
Farm Bill Passed in Senate, Headed to House – The House is scheduled to vote today on a five-year farm bill. The bill would renew farm subsidies, federal crop insurance, and food aid for low-income families. The bill passed in the Senate yesterday on a vote of 87-13.
Democrats Announce Committee Chairs – House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi (CA) released a list of Committee Chairs for next Congress. Current Ranking Member of the Small Business Committee, Nydia Velazquez (NY), has been recommended to lead the Committee as the Chair in January. The list is subject to Democratic Caucus approval. Other Chairs include:
- Agriculture: Collin Peterson (MN)
- Armed Services: Adam Smith (WA)
- Education & Workforce: Bobby Scott (VA)
- Foreign Affairs: Eliot Engel (NY)
- Homeland Security: Bennie Thompson (MS)
- Judiciary: Jerrold Nadler (NY)
- Natural Resources: Raul Grijalva (AZ)
- Oversight & Government Reform: Elijah Cummings (MD)
- Science, Space & Technology: Eddie Bernice Johnson (TX)
- Transportation & Infrastructure: Peter DeFazio (OR)
- Veterans’ Affairs: Mark Takano (CA)
- Wednesday, December 12 @ 10 AM: House Committee on Education and the Workforce, Subcommittee on Workforce Protections, Mandating a $15 Minimum Wage: Consequences for Workers and Small Businesses, 2175 Rayburn House Office Building.
- S. 3724 (Sen. Mark Warner, D-VA): A bill to improve the processing and oversight by the Federal Government of security clearances and background investigations.
May 7, 2019
Industry News -
The Ultimate National Small Business Week 2019 Events Calendar : With so many events, promotions, and deals to be had, the Big List of National Small Business Week is designed to help you find what is taking place across the country.